The church originated in the nearby village of Ingham in 1653, one of the first Baptist churches in the district. The members there felt called to move to Stalham as it grew to be the local market Town, rather than just another village.
There is a sign that hangs in the vestry that lists all the pastors the church since its foundation in 1653. The sign also describes the church as having "removed to Stalham" in 1884. This took place when the present buildings were opened, the result of much prayer, fund raising and hard work.
Also hanging in the vestry is a reproduction of the original "indulgence", dated 1672, in which the King Charles II grants permission for the first pastor to teach his congregation.
You will also see a photograph of the deacons in office at the time of the three hundredth anniversary of the foundation of our church.
Ron, our Pastor since 1989, has always led the church with the vision in his heart that we should be a welcoming meeting point for the local community, and that the church should live with Jesus at its centre.
A full refurbishment of the Sanctuary, costing some £165,000, took place in 2012 during which time services took place in the School Room.
The image below is taken from A History of Stalham Baptist Church, a 13 page document written by Jean Bloomfield in January 2004, which contains much more information and stories about the church from its foundation to the first world war.